- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- Combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- Beat the egg and milk together in a bowl. In a different bowl, add the milk mixture to the melted butter, stirring constantly with a whisk to blend.
- Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients and stir just enough to moisten the flour mixture. It should look a little lumpy. (If you overwork the mixture, the pancakes will be tough.) This is a thick batter but if it seems too thick, add a bit more milk.
- Heat a griddle or nonstick pan over medium heat and coat it with vegetable oil. Drop the batter from a large spoon (about 1/4 cup) and cook until the first side is golden brown, or until the top surface bubbles and is dotted with holes. Flip and cook until the other side is golden brown. This happens quickly so peek after 30 seconds and watch carefully! Adjust the heat setting if necessary. Wipe the griddle totally clean with a paper towel between batches. Serve immediately.